Sunday, May 9, 2010

Swim Lessons

McKenzie and I are doing 6 weeks of parent and tot swim lessons. Hmm... where do I start...

This is our first lesson...getting ready to start...

learning how to get into the pool by herself.

Here's where I'm thinking...oh boy... she didn't want to let go of the side.

Then we did the hokey pokey and it was a little better

putting both legs in and shakin' all about

Throwing a toy and swimming to it...

Then floating on her back...she wasn't a fan...notice the death grip!

She wouldn't keep her legs down and straight

The teacher (yes that is the teacher) helping us...death grip again and can you say jelly bracelets??

Now she's getting a little better...is that a smile??

It was a little awkward for me though, since she had to be on my shoulder and so I had to lean back into the water a lot. I was supposed to just hold her head with one hand and her back with my other arm, but she wasn't buying that.

Practicing kicking...

Practicing climbing out of the water herself...she was good at this since she weighs next to nothing!

So since this class we have had 2 more. She is still not sure about it all, but likes it when we talk about swim lessons and practice in our pool and blowing bubbles in the tub. Part of it, I think, is that the water is cold and we are inside so there is no sun to warm her up. She is freezing and shivering through the whole lesson. We have 3 more classes left and I am hoping to get her some more practice at the pool this week so that she will do better next week. Yesterday's class was a mess and she didn't want to do anything (though I think she was really tired from being up early for the march of dimes walk). And yes, I've resorted to bribing her, well I guess it's really rewarding her, I told her if she has a good class next week we will get a surprise on the way home.

0 comments: